Sunday, June 1, 2003

A Loose Boy 2003.6.X first appearance

A Loose fish.
Sloppy guy.

Such words come out at the beginning of Mishima Prize winning work "A loose Boy".
Author's Mr.Kazumi Saeki has graduated from Sendai First High School.
In short,A teacher is stamping "You are a sloppy guy" to the protagonist who will not take serious effort for entrance exam at a admission school.
This is a book that want High school students who is suffering by choice "go on to university or find employment" to read.

Mr.Saeki…No,When viewed him from my position,Sensei Saeki.
I have met him once.
However,I remember that I was not able to communicate well for extremely tense.
Because I'm a chicken.
He is a person with tremendously force.He is completely different from the photo.

A good university,a good company,a career course….
Although Such common sense before 1998 has became a thing of the past,
In retrospect, I think "what was the exam war" recently.
In the past,It seems that there were people who committing suicide due to fail at the exam of an aspiring University.
And,When I was a child,There was also uncle who boast saying that both of my sons entered the University of Tokyo.

Because I'm a chicken,I was not able to demonstrate my ability well every time of the test at both junior high and high school.
For that reason,The deviation value always was about 25.
I will write this for them who graduated from school before the deviation value education starts.
Approximately the deviation value 75 is Waseda,Keio class,The deviation value 25 means level which "You had better give up this year's exam". Or it may be lower.
I was wandering around the deviation value 25.
For that reason,I remember what the homeroom teacher said "You can not advance to University".
So then,I repeled it emotionally.
As a result,I studied hard and entered certain university in Sendai city.
However,in retrospect,Why I repeled it emotionally….
By only reason that can not advance to higher education,In other words,
By just only reason that the deviation value is low,I felt like that I was denied the whole personality.
For that reason,I think that I repeled it emotionally.

Every human being has various abilities.
For example,The picture is deft…He has physical fitness…Talking is good at…She has many friends…and so on.
In spite of there are such various value criteria,In admission school of some degree at that time,I think that everything was judged depend on the deviation value is high or not.
The teachers were talking only such story that how many students entered Waseda this year or how many students entered Hitotu-bashi.
Although It is unthinkable in currently,It had been said that it is unnecessary to have to do Art and Music not relate with the exam.
Boys who play guitar were called bad boy.
In such atmosphere,I think that there are horribly many people who have became unable to demonstrate their abilities due to fooled by the deviation value.
Speaking exaggerate,That is loss for Japan.
No, If we think about Japan's role in the international community,That is loss for the world.

I also had been brainwashed that people with high deviation values ​​have high abilities. For a while.
So then,I thought "My ability is around deviation value 25 anyway" And There was a time when I was getting smaller.
On the side of the society also,Because common sense ”persons who has a higher deviation value are able guys” was overflowing,People with a high deviation value had self-confidence proudly.
When we went out to the society,We will realize that Having confidence in myself is pretty important.
We will want to request a work to person who proudly with confidence even without contents than a person who doesn't have confidence.
For that reason,In Japanese society of the past,The deviation value of high school age had influenced while lifetime.It was entrance society.
It was a match until entering whether university and company.
After we entered once, "I am famous University graduate" or "I am a employee of famous company". Oh that is great. I think had became so.

Society of that kind has ended.
And further,It has became as ask rather than Belong-Company or Graduating-University.
"What can he does as an individual"
"What did he learn at University"
”What kind of work did you in the previous company”
As a result,
"I am a employee of famous company" or  "I am a famous university graduate"
I think that people who had established self identity like in that form has reached crisis of spirit.
I wonder if I was self-deprecation myself just by deviation value is low.
I am caught by strange feeling.

Since it began to see such a composition,
I has met people who Kyoto University Law School graduated or Meiji University graduate or Former Dai-ichi Kangyou Bank man or Former NTT man.
Naturally,Everyone is different as an individual.
Although Some people have great work abilities,Some people have no professional skills.
When I had talked them,I understood that they are pretty ordinary people.

After all,What on earth was the exam war.
At recently,Even in admission-school,It seems that students who a deviation value such as be able to enter in the University of Tokyo or Waseda are considering studying abroad.
And further,It seems that several students from the grade go to studying abroad actually.
I wondered if there is Hidetoshi Nakata effect. I thought that.
I had heard the story that he had high deviation value much as be able to enter the University of Tokyo.
But,at least,if young people studied abroad,I think would remained the experience of living in a foreign country and the language ability that can use.
Even if students enter a domestic university with no purpose due to sort out in order of deviation value by teacher,Only the title that currently no longer valid like "I am a certain university graduate"  would remain.
Therefore,I think there are not so good things.
It seems that there are also many students who burn out in the exam and become May-Sick.
Also,With a declining of birthrate,It is also said that the university's total-admission-era will come soon.
What on earth was the exam war.
If Japanese go out abroad and Even if he said toward Italians that I have a deviation value of 68,I feel like not mean anything.

So then,Although I'll return to "A Loose Boy" of Sensei Kazumi Saeki,
The protagonist who drop out from the exam war and had various social experiences became independent as an electrician.
And,He looks down graduation ceremony of the classmates who advance to University while repairing gymnasium lighting,tweets a word.
What he tweets is what ?
Although It is a enjoying at after reading the book,Even if we have read this book nowadays after the exam war has ended, We can get a lot of things.
I'm also able to assent that this book received the Yukio Mishima Prize.


-A Loose Boy-(Complete) -



A Loose Boy(Shincho Bunko)
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4101342113?ie=UTF8&tag=digifactory-22&linkCode=as2&camp=247&creative=1211&creativeASIN=4101342113